Enforcing Payment of Child Support

For many families, child support is essential for their month to month survival. Enforcing this form of support is one of the most vital functions of the courts and an extremely important use of their power. Because of the crucial nature of child support payments for many families, some states are able to extend their jurisdiction to nonresidents in order to collect child support payment. For single parents or any other family that receives child support, the need is real and the courts should be able to uphold an action that they have decreed.

Some states have jurisdiction over residents of other states, or nonresidents, because of the actions or orders that were brought against them in that state. Financial support for children is one of those actions. Parents who are attempting to flee their responsibility can not escape by simply leaving the state. States have outlined regulations regarding who and how they can pursue the collection of support from nonresidents.

A nonresident of a state can still be served with a support collection action if they are in the state. So if a fleeing parent establishes residency in another state, but comes back to the state where they owe financial support to a child, they can be served with an action to collect their overdue payment. Also, if a nonresident ever resided with the child whose support the are supposed to pay, they can be served with an action by that state. Finally, if a child was conceived in a state that a person is not a resident of, they can still be within the jurisdiction of that state in regards to support payments.

For more information regarding collecting child support, please visit the website of the Raleigh support lawyers at Marshall & Taylor, P.C..