Accident Claim Advice: The First Two Things To Do

What is the first thing you should do if you have an accident? No, the answer isn’t to contact an accident claim solicitor, despite what you might believe based on television and radio advertising. Obviously the first thing you should do is to make sure you get appropriate medical attention. Whether or not you go on to make an accident claim this is an important stage because obviously it is important to get medical attention, but when it comes to making a claim this information will be invaluable.

It is important not to start worrying immediately whether or not the accident was your fault. People are very quick to either blame other people or blame themselves without really thinking it through. Perhaps you have tripped over, and feel a little foolish that you’ve tripped over your own feet, but in actual fact it may not necessarily be your fault.

If you tripped over whilst walking down the pavement it is important to remember that you pay tax to your local Council to pay them to maintain the pavements in a sound working order. If they fail to fulfil this obligation you have every right to make a claim. After all, in essence it is your own money you’re claiming back!

When you talk to an accident claim solicitor they will be able to ascertain the circumstances in which you had your accident, and will be able to give you a good idea straightaway whether or not you do have a claim. If they think that you do have a claim the next stage will be for them to make sure any relevant evidence is gathered as quickly as possible. If this isn’t done quickly then you may well find that evidence is covered up.

For example, if you did have an accident whilst walking down the pavement, and you complained to your council and threatened to take legal action before talking to your solicitor, you may well find that by the time your solicitor sends somebody out to gather photographic evidence, the problem with the pavement has been fixed.

So if you have had accident, whether it was a car accident, a slip, trip or fall, or work-related accident, make sure that straightaway you get the medical attention you need, and then as soon as you have an opportunity make your next course of action to talk to an accident claim specialist who will then be able to provide you with all of the advice and recommendations necessary in order to proceed with making a claim for the compensation you will inevitably both need and deserve.